Through the Force Field to Your Success! (Speaker's Gold Speech)

Go through those invisible force fields to reach your successes. I was not dating very much. It had been, perhaps, twenty-five years. A broken marriage from another lifetime left my confidence battered and bruised. My self-esteem was at an all-time low. However, life goes on, right? Certain risks must be undertaken to allow a person to grow. That’s when a friend coerced me into a blind date.

As much as I loathed the idea of a blind date, I figured I didn’t have anything to lose. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We wouldn’t know one another, so if things went badly each of us could walk away unscathed. No harm done!

We met at a local bookstore. I was pretending to read a magazine. I was so nervous I couldn’t focus on a single word anyway. From my left a female voice said, “Hello Don”. I turned and looked into the eyes of one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. She smiled at me. I quickly glanced to right and back again. I was the only Don within twenty feet. She had been talking to me! As she shook my hand I was in awe of her firm grip. She had a fantastic grip!

Anyway, I followed her over to the coffee shop where we sat and talked for two hours. She was drinking bottled water, and I, the largest cup of coffee they served. As she spoke, it struck me how confident and strong-willed this woman was. No doubt, I was falling for her. She was testing me the whole time, too, and I knew it. At one point she balanced herself on one elbow, leaned forward and declared, “I want to get married, again!” Then, she sat back to study my face for a reaction.

In my head, I could hear the electrical hum of the force field being activated. It snapped as I touched it! Beyond the din my mind raced. What would have Capt. Kirk done?



 My shaken self-esteem was about to be tested. This woman was intelligent, articulate, and oozing with self-confidence. What could she see in me? However, I believe many strange things happen for a reason. My response was either going to make or break a potential relationship. I could not allow the failure of one love ruin any hope of a new one, and, I really wanted to give this my best shot, so I answered from my heart. I leaned forward, looked her directly in the eye and without hesitating, I spoke, “I want to get married, again, too!”

So, here is my challenge to you. When you desire change in your life, like a new job, your own business, or a new love, push through the invisible force field. Accept new challenges in your life. You will grow! You will succeed!

As for my blind date lady…we got married.

Comments

Patrick said…
I hope you showed this great blog to your blind date!!!

Popular Posts