A Reason for Everything (Teaser)

For some inexplicable reason we may change a routine. Perhaps, take a different route to work, or leave 30 minutes earlier than usual. Why can we suddenly change things with no apparent explanation? There is a reason for everything.

I had been driving home from work early one January morning. It was about 2 a.m. A typical time the closing manager of a restaurant to be going home. For whatever reason, I took a different route home that day. It was a beautiful winter night with the snow gently falling silently to the ground. The drive was very relaxing and uneventful...until I saw the little boy.

I shook my head in disbelief but there he was. In the darkness of winter a pyjama-clad boy, about four years of age, was waliking down the sidewalk. Was this for real? I finally pulled over as questions started popping into my head. Where is he going? Where is he coming from? Does he live nearby? Where are his coat and boots? If I just drove away, would his frozen little body be found in a snowbank tommorrow? I couldn't bear the thought.

Turning the steering wheel hard to the left I made a u-turn in the snow and drove towards the boy. He was marching on through the snow with admirable determination. As I pulled up next to him, I asked him if he needed a ride. With a great shiver he squeeked out a "yes" and walked through the open passenger door. I reached over him and slammed the door shut. More questions filled my head. Is this how children mysteriously disappear? What if someone was watching me right now? Would they call the cops? Despite appearances this young boy needed to get home, now!

I cranked up the heater as high as it would blow. Where do you live? I asked. His blank stare was frightening. Could you point your way back to your house? Without a word he nodded yes. I headed into the falling snow. During our brief drive, I said that it was really late for him to be outside. What had happened? His answer was simple and utterly innocent.

(If you want the rest of the story, please let me know)

Comments

Popular Posts