Exceptional Customer Service: Saying Versus Doing

Exceptional Customer Service: Saying Versus Doing

 

We were leaving our hotel to head back home. The associate working behind the reception desk asked us about our stay. As usual, we had an exceptionally good time at their hotel, one we have visited numerous times over the years. We noticed a rack with breakfast bags containing a croissant, a juice, a cinnamon role selling for $5.00. We bought a bag. I had mentioned that after leaving the hotel we would drive to Tim Horton’s to pick up a coffee before hitting the highway. At hearing that, the associate offered to make a coffee for me, so I wouldn’t need to go anywhere else. I thought it was a kind gesture and agreed to accept his offer. Now, this was customer service, I thought. From previous visits I knew the coffee was quite good.

He rushed off to the kitchen to start the coffee. In the meantime, we loaded the car for the trip home. After several minutes he emerged from the kitchen with my coffee. He insisted I try it before leaving. I did. It was stone cold brown water. The disappointment must have showed on my face. He asked if it was okay. I said it was cold. Embarrassed, he offered to try again. It was at this point he admitted to being a tea drinker and had never made a pot of coffee.

Before I could say anything, he was gone again. I waited a few more minutes but got restless. I should have gone to Tim Horton’s. I walked towards the kitchen to tell him not to bother, however, due to COVID19 restrictions it was closed off to the public. He could not be reached. I left and drove to Timmy’s for my coffee.

To make matters worse, the breakfast bag contained one very stale croissant and a chocolate cookie (not the expected cinnamon role). Oh well.

The associate’s offer to provide exceptional customer service was genuine and appreciated. However, when the offer cannot be completed as expected it leaves a sour taste. The last memory I have is the taste of cold brown water and not that of an exceptional hotel experience.

I did email the hotel general manager about the attempt at exceptional customer service. Treating this situation as a training opportunity, I suggested that if frontline staff are to make offers of service that they be fully trained to complete the offer. In this case, how to brew a pot of coffee.

To some, this may seem picky, it was only a coffee, right? The point is if you are going to offer a service be prepared to deliver it.

 

Comments

Popular Posts