The Non-Salesperson: How to Succeed Being Different

Not long ago I was manning our company display table at a local association’s networking event. One of my potential clients, a property manager, sauntered over to review our security products on display. No sooner did I greet him when he genuinely apologized for not getting back to me sooner about a conversation we had a couple of weeks earlier. At that time, we met to discuss the results of a lighting audit we did in three of his apartment buildings. He had committed to some of our recommendations and promised three purchase orders (PO). Days followed without the anticipated PO’s.


I sent a couple of very brief emails asking if we needed to clarify any additional questions, hoping to nudge him a little. Still, nothing. Then, we meet at this networking event.

He followed his apology with the explanation of how snowed under with work he had been recently. He then promised to attend to the PO’s, as soon as there was room on his desk. I calmly assured him that that was fine by me…no panic. I wasn’t going to persistently call or email harassing him about his commitment. It wasn’t my style anyway. Besides, I joked, I’m a lousy salesperson!

The property manager laughed at my suggestion and assured me that I was not a lousy salesperson, just different. He was used to the high pressure tactics of conventional sales and was not familiar with a salesperson who really wanted to help him solve his problems. He likes the fact that I built a rapport without the expectation of making a sale. He is pleased with my honest, no pressure approach to doing business. True to his word, the three purchase orders appeared a couple of days later.

Be sincere. Be honest. Be willing to help without expecting anything in return. It works!

Comments

Popular Posts