Building Automation Associations and Industry Associations

Efficient Communication

Recently, I have spent the better part of one month traveling from one tradeshow to another across the United States representing a building automation association. I met with both association members, and potential members. At best, it is a tenuous task as exhibitors are trying to sell their products and services, in this difficult economy, and I want to sell a membership or research project to them. To say the least, I get my fair share of cold receptions. It comes with the job!

One way to communicate with the members, and non-members is to send e-blasts announcing upcoming projects, potential research studies, discounts on research purchases, conferences and events, and the like. Many times I get on the phone and call then, follow up with an email. Still, is this the best way to communicate with our building association community? Should we always be trying to sell something?

The short answer is probably “yes”, as associations need funds to survive. However, is it the best way to approach members? I know if my phone was ringing, or email pinging, and I recognise the name of someone who is always trying to sell me something I will not respond! Who needs the additional aggravation, right?

So, if you belong to a building automation association, or an industry association, how do you want to be contacted? What would you want to hear? Should other communication tools be used, like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or other social media? Do you use these yourself? Personally, I prefer these methods, but I want your thoughts on this. Social media is a communications channel designed for two-way discussions, not selling. Am I right, or wrong?

What are your expectations of your association? Are they being fulfilled? If not, why?

I am asking these questions to explore the possibility of change, regarding communication, between associations and their members, and potential members. I am concerned that there is a communications gap on both ends. Associations and their membership need to find better ways to talk to each other. Please tell me what you think!

Don O’Connor millenniumstrategy@yahoo.com
http://ping.fm/jj0FH
http://ping.fm/G2gs4
http://ping.fm/rowcS'Connor

"You will be happy in your life in direct proportion to the degree to which you will be helpful to the world." The Saint, the Surfer and the CEO by Robin Sharma

Comments

Popular Posts