Gray Hair Does Matter!

Yes, I'm 51 and have plenty of gray hair. Earned every one of them, too!

A while back I worked for a large big box do-it-yourself retailer. They employed many retirees from several walks of life. They were experienced, knowledgable associates. Customers came to respect their expertise and willingness to help find solutions. Then, the business model changed.

Our new CEO was aggressively growing the company. Stores were popping up all over the place. The added financial burden of growth was offset by cost cutting initiatives. Employee benefits and perks (what little there were) were reduced or eliminated. Continuous training programs were also affected. Suddenly, well-compensated senior associates found themselves working fewer hours, if any.

Customers soon noticed more younger, less experienced faces on the salesfloor. New hires cost less money. As hard as some of the new associates worked at customer service they lacked the training and experience. Customers were getting frustrated with the poor service.

One day, while working in my department, I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. She was marching straight for me with a look of determination on her face. "Thank goodness, you have gray hair!", she said with a flustered voice, "I know you can help me!" She also made a comment about not being able to get assistance from the younger associates, when she actually finds them. It was not a new complaint. I was more than happy, and capable, to assist her.

Employers need to understand the future of the workforce. Look at the demographics! We have an aging population, but many, like me, will not be retiring anytime soon. A Boomer is well worth the investment...that's what I said, investment! Boomers have illustrated their capacity to absorb new technology with few problems. Companies need to address this issue today!

If you are employed by a company that does not invest in Boomers, but should, suggest this website to your superiors or Human Resources department,
http://www.workplaceinstitute.org/ by Barbara Jaworski. It is a great resource centre for information on the aging workforce.

Comments

Popular Posts