Defending His Right to Use Handicap Parking!

Defending His Right to Use Handicap Parking!


My installer and I were to install additional Mobotix cameras


for a client in Kingston. My installer has had an artificial leg

for 20 years, and on this occassion he wanted to park in the

handicap zone as his leg was bothering him. We've never used the handicap parking.

So, we parked and put his handicap permit in the window for all to see.



We walked into the building, tools in hand, when we were stopped

in the lobby by a little old lady. The lobby was busy with patrons and staff alike.

"Why did you park in the handicap spot?" she demanded.

"Because I have a permit", was the installer's reply.

Well, that set her off! She went into a tirade shouting at us for abusing

the handicap parking. My installer tried to explain his handicap, but

she would have none of it. "I don't believe you!" she kept shouting.



"Oh yeah?" my installer finally snapped back. "Do you believe this?" and with

that he pulled off his artificial leg and proceeded to wave it at her.

"Does this look fake?" he asked, waving his leg in the air. "Just because I don't use a wheelchair

doesn't mean I don't have the right to park there!"




Well, you could hear a pin drop in the lobby! Everyone was mesmerized

by what was taking place. The elderly woman just through up her arms in frustration,

and walked away muttering to herself. A staff member raced over asking my installer

if he was alright. He assured her he was fine, just frustrated with the accusation.

The staff member then shared that her mother was also an amputee and apologised

for the elderly client. "She's always preaching to someone." she explained.



It was an interesting start to our day!

Comments

Popular Posts