Company Policy-A Barrier to Your Customer

I'm currently reading Jeffrey Gitomer's "Customer Satisfaction is Worthless. Customer Loyalty is Priceless".
Principle #10 is about company policy and how it affects customers.

It reminded me of an incident when I was a Racetrack Manager at Home Depot. I was walking towards the Returns Desk when I heard a commotion. A customer was arguing with the cashier. It was the cashier's first day working at the Returns Desk, and she was refusing a return due to the manufacturer's company policy. The customer had broken the tip off his new tape measure and wanted to return it. The more she refused the louder the discussion. By the time I happened by the cashier was in tears, and the customer red with anger.

I called the head cashier and had this young woman take a break. Then, I turned to the customer and suggested we walk to the hardware department. He related his side of the story as we walked. I explained to him that the cashier was correct, the manufacturer was refusing returns based on the type of damage he had with his tape measure. It was their policy. However, I continued, we were going to exchange his tape measure for a new one, no questions asked. You can do that? he asked. Sure, I responded, and handed him a new one. Then, I asked why he got so upset. What was really going on?

As it turned out, he had promised his wife that he would build a spare room in their house for when company visits them. Well, company was coming in a few days and no spare room was built, yet. He was under the gun to get his job done immediately!

So, I asked what else he needed to finish the job. He spent $400.00 on additional building materials. Once we completed loading his cart I suggested he stop by the Returns Desk and apologize to the new cashier. I reasoned it would make them both feel better. He did apologize to a very surprised cashier.

Later, I explained the events to the new cashier. I offered that sometimes company policy is a hinderance to customers, and this was one of those cases. It is always best to do what's right. Use discretion when it comes to falling back on "company policy" excuses. 

Comments

Donald O'Connor said…
Same applies to B2B policies.
Anonymous said…
COMPANY POLICY..very good example of A1 customer service. Also a great example of how not to treat customers with disrespect!
Very good article Mr. O'Connor.
D.Staley

Popular Posts