Selling: It’s the Why, Not the What!

Selling: It’s the Why, Not the What!


Reading Simon Sinek’s book “Start with Why” has me thinking about the reasons why some of us may enjoy the sales field. Why do we do what we do?

Some may enjoy the challenge, the thrill of the hunt. Others may do it for the money. Then, there are those, like myself, who do it because they enjoy helping people. They may even go so far as to assist the client with a competitor who has the product or service best suited for their needs. That sounds far-fetched, but that may truly help your client. Few forget that kind of assistance.

Now, it also helps if you carry products, or offer services, that create solutions for your client.

For example, I sell Mobotix security cameras made in Germany. They are innovative and technologically advanced security systems. Mobotix is not inexpensive, and I do not apologize for that. Why? It’s a matter of perspective.

Other cameras are less expensive…initially. However, their life cycles tend to be short. Motors freeze in cold weather and stop functioning. Heaters for these motors can also overheat and the camera becomes limited in its usefulness. The image a lesser expensive camera produces may be fuzzy or distorted. The point is that lesser expensive solutions may require additional maintenance costs, downtime, and even result in the sales cycle being repeated, again. Time and money is expended.

A more expensive solution may actually be cheaper in the long-term as these additional costs are usually avoided. Fram filter TV commercials of many years ago phrased it best, “You can pay me now, or pay me later.” In other words, buy the good stuff first. And yes, I use Fram filters for my vehicle.

No doubt helping clients can be a long process. Your solutions may be new on the market and clients hesitate to purchase. However, you keep persevering and sooner or later they come around. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. Once they are convinced that your product actually is the best solution for them, the sales begin to increase.

Well, what if my products/solutions are just too expensive for their budget? I start with a small order. That gives the client time to use the product and become accustomed to it and its features. If I really believe my solution will benefit them, I have even offered a camera to try for free for one month. Still, if that does not seem to help, I will recommend other suppliers with lower price points. I will not force feed our solutions onto anyone. That only produces a short term solution and does little to build a relationship.

I sell because I like to help people.

See my blog “Help Make Me Successful”. What a client told me when I asked for the sale.

http://donaldoconnorspeaks.blogspot.com/2011/08/help-make-me-successful-what-i-was-told.html




Comments

Popular Posts