My Boomer Job Search: What Are My Observations and Experiences?


My last employment contract ended June 2015. Since then, I have tried to grow my own business, POTSHOTZZ (greeting cards, mugs, t-shirts featuring Daisy), but, a steady income is still needed. 



Here are some observations during my employment search:

I am a Boomer. There…I said it. So, what does that mean? Well, for many potential employers I am deemed “over qualified” for their job opportunities. So, my CV is dismissed almost immediately. The assumption is that the job is “entry level” and that I may seek more money than that job opportunity is budgeted for. Or, with my experience, I may get bored and search for new opportunities elsewhere.

NEWSFLASH: Do not paint all Boomers, or anybody, with the same brush.

Speaking only for myself, the best way to learn a business is to start at the bottom (entry level).  My experience and qualifications may lead to better efficiencies and improved customer interaction provided the employer allows for engagement. And, yes, I would accept an “entry level” salary if advancement were possible.

I cannot tell you how many times I have edited my CV to suit a particular job opportunity, perhaps hundreds. All for the sake of a software program that can pick up my keywords and phrases to determine if I should qualify for a first level screening phone call. I do understand the necessity of such a program due to the overwhelming number of applications. Admittedly, I am not a fan.

Today, a candidate needs to have a social media presence. The basic idea is to get you noticed by potential employers. I have had a LinkedIn account for several years. Hundreds of connections have been made. However, few real business relationships have been formed.



To promote my own agenda (POTSHOTZZ, DonaldOConnorSpeaks) I have created Twitter and Facebook profiles. I have even created a GoDaddy website to sell my products, just like millions of other entrepreneurs. Your voice can be easily lost in the cacophony of social media. Yet, we are told potential employers scan your online presence to see if a phone call or interview is warranted. As an aside, some people lie on their CV, some lie on social media, some do both…just saying.

Truthfully, employment is available for Boomers who wish, or need, to work. How fulfilling it is may be another matter. So far this year I have undertaken a temporary contract with a big box retailer to merchandise displays. I left after accepting a Business Development Manager position at a non-profit association. However, I could not memorize a five page sales script in a timely manner and was let go in my second week of employment. Currently, I am cleaning and storing golf clubs at a private golf course.  I got this opportunity through my network of contacts and I do appreciate the job. This contract ends in October.

I have been approached to work as a security guard/officer based on my military experience. I must first complete the provincial certification to qualify. So, jobs are available, if the applicant can accept a near minimum wage position. Luckily for me, as long as I am learning something new and facing exciting challenges, most times the wage is secondary.

To make matters more challenging, my limited French-speaking skills prevent me from applying to most government jobs, and I accept that.



As a final note, I enjoyed the movie “The Intern” with Robert DeNiro. Often, I see myself as his character, Ben Whittaker. All of us want to feel needed and appreciated.

Somewhere out there is an employer who needs me. Sooner or later we’ll finally meet.

Don O’Connor

So, what have been your employment search experiences been like? I’d like to know. Thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts